Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Two slide guitar albums

One is "Jin Jin" (firefly) by slide guitarist Bob Brozman from Howaii and Sanshin player Takashi Hirayasu, from the southern islands of Japan. (Sanshin is the Japanese adoption of the Chinese instrument Sanxian) Folk songs from the south of island. As refreshing as breeze from these island. The Lyrics can be funny. For example, one of the songs tells children that there are three ghosts wondering in the street at night. They will cut your (now you are the children!)ears off if you don't sleep by 8 at night. etc. See
http://www.bobbrozman.com/jinjin.html


(if you'd like to have this album, I can load it to you online, just let me know.)
Every time I listened to it, I think of Patrick, who gave me this album. He liked to sing in HGS courtyard in May. I heard him playing and came down. Then we went to old campus to get food and play more, till midnight. Ps, Patrick is one of our authors. Look forward to his writing.

The other is Bhattacharya's Hindustani album. Great album, too. I listen to it almost every night before sleep. you can download it here. Rootblog is a good place to get Indian classical music and keep up with contemporary experimental music.
http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=2199

No comments:

Followers